Thursday, August 27, 2009

CIDP ... Rocky's blog

There's a new clinical trial looking for subjects. If I lived in Oregon, I would surely sign up. It seems almost too good to be true -- or effective. Alpha Lipoic Acid. Ordinary and found in foods, but in a lower dose than what the Oregon Health and Science University is proposing. I will definitely try to follow this. It looks like they've been seeking subjects for several months already.

"Although corticosteroids, plasma exchange, and intravenous immunoglobulin (IVIg) reduce impairment caused by CIDP at least temporarily and can be used as a first-line treatments, they are not ideal for long-term treatment because of serious side effects and cost. Alpha lipoic acid (LA) is an antioxidant that also possesses anti-immune activity. It is effective in treating diabetic neuropathy. It is also promising in treating patients with multiple sclerosis.

"Subjects will be started on a single daily dose of 600 mg of alpha lipoic acid or placebo for the first 4 weeks and then increased to 1200 mg for the remainder of the study.

2 comments:

  1. I read about this study but what would prevent me from taking part is the follow up testing. I believe you are required to undergo nerve conduction velocity testing. I cannot handle these test. I start jumping before I even get the shock of the test. The last time I had it done I almost kicked the doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dennis, I did contact them. Of course I live across country from them and couldn't participate, but I did ask that they let me know how it all turns out. I received return e-mail from the Ph.D.in charge and she said she would do that.

    I also had a posting on the GBS/CIDP forum that mentioned one of the folks there had tried the alpha lipoic acid. Hopefully that person will make contact.

    The nerve conduction studies aren't "fun", but I don't react as you do. Sorry to hear you can't tolerate them.

    ReplyDelete